Protection Management, LLC, has provided healthcare security consultant services and healthcare risk management services to medical center campuses and related healthcare facilities since 1999 throughout the United States.
We Provide Healthcare Security Consulting to a Wide Range of Healthcare Facilities
- Community Hospitals
- Rehabilitation Hospitals
- Healthcare Systems
- Teaching Hospitals
- Behavioral Health Facilities (Both Inpatient and Outpatient)
- Mental Health Facilities
- Substance Abuse Facilities
- Government Managed Health Facilities
We provide healthcare consulting to facilities ranging from with fewer than 100 beds to over 1,000 beds and over 95,000 Emergency Room visits annually.
We Develop Healthcare Security Solutions Uniquely Tailored to Your Operations
Our services range from:
- Management Consulting and Management Mentoring
- Setting up New Departments
- Healthcare Risk Assessment of a Single Department (e.g. Emergency Room)
- Security Risks Assessments of one or more campuses
- Complete and Comprehensive Facility-Wide Healthcare Security Review
We present an objective and balanced perspective based on proven security best practices and industry accepted standards and guidelines.
Anyone that works in an emergency room knows how violent they have become in the last few years. Call it the stresses of everyday life coupled with the increased use of drugs and the rise in mental health issues, but violence in the ER is a serious concern. Whether it is an aggressive verbal outburst or worse yet, a weapons incident, the chances that an incident will happen in your emergency department are real. Are you ready? Have you planned? Has the staff been trained on what to do?
In California, a law went into effect in 2010 that requires certain measures be taken to deal with the violence in healthcare, plan for the response, and track trends so that you can reduce your number of incidents. This is likely to spread across the country in the future. Do you act now, or wait until legislation is passed in your area? The answer to that question depends on how much liability you are willing to accept.
Infant abductions are still possible in today’s world of electronic security nets in most hospitals. Although the numbers of actual abductions from within hospitals are down in the last ten years, attempts still take place, as do actual abductions.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Describes the Typical Abductor as:
- Female of “childbearing” age (range now 12 to 53), often overweight.
- Most likely compulsive; most often relies on manipulation, lying, and deception.
- Frequently indicates she has lost a baby or is incapable of having one.
- Often married or cohabitating; companion’s desire for a child or the abductor’s desire to provide her companion with “his” child may be the motivation for the abduction.
- Usually lives in the community where the abduction takes place.
- John M. White CPP, CHPA, is Board Certified in Security Management as a Certified Protection Professional (CPP) and as a Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA), and he has served as the senior security executive of two healthcare organizations.
- He also serves on the Healthcare Security Council of ASIS International, and is the chairperson for the Publications and Healthcare Security Best Practice committees of this council.
- Mr. White serves on the Board of Directors for the International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS) as well as the Commission for Certification with the IAHSS.
In the world of healthcare security consultants, only a few have ever achieved this level of professionalism and experience.
John M. White has managed healthcare security programs that included:
- Medical Centers with Multiple Satellite Campuses
- Urgent Cares
- Rehabilitation Hospitals
- Out-Patient Services
- Retail & Inpatient Pharmacies
- Trauma Centers
- Behavioral Health Services
He has been through numerous successful Joint Commission (JCAHO) and Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) reviews with no adverse findings for security, and has been recognized by surveyors for best practices in healthcare security.
Our Principle Healthcare Consultant, John M. White, has Healthcare Management Experience in:
- Emergency Room Violence
- Infant Security
- Emergency Management
- Valet Parking
- Employee Shuttle Services
- Security Equipment Planning and Installation
- VIP Visits
He has successfully rebuilt healthcare security programs to be leaders in their fields, and took those departments to the “Next Level.” Each time he managed the process of professionally certifying the security staff in the departments and making them model programs and leaders in healthcare security.
At Protection Management, we have a thorough understanding of the Joint Commission Standards, DNV, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), CMS Conditions of Participation, Patient Centered Care, and Planetree. John has managed security equipment planning, installation, and testing of security technology in construction projects ranging from extensive remodels all the way up to new hospitals. He has worked with architects, general contractors, system integrators, and end users to insure system integrity and efficiencies.
- The Certified Protection Professional (CPP) and Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA) certifications that Protection Management, LLC maintains are internationally recognized as standards of excellence.
- Our experts remain current on new developments and trends with healthcare security issues.
- We fully understand the challenges that healthcare facilities face with regards to an open environment and still remaining safe and secure.
- We work with our clients to identify their unique areas needing attention as well as positive attributes.
- Although we have made recommendations for new technologies as needed, our baseline approach is to identify operational efficiencies and work within existing budgets when possible.
- We provide our clients with an electronic tracking tool so that they can track their progress during the implementation phase of improving their security and reducing their risks.
- Established state recognized Security Training Programs
- Developed and implemented Less Than Lethal Weapons Training and Use (e.g. Tasers & Pepper Foam)
- Developed and implemented Quarterly Training Programs-Best Practices
- Comprehensive understanding of Quality Management Programs
- Experienced in Emergency Management and Disaster Planning
- Experienced in Hospital Incident Command Operations (HICS)
- Served on safety committees for 17 years
- Served on Hospital Environment of Care Committees for 14 years
- Professionally certified all security staff through the International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS)
- Worked with faith based, not-for-profit, and for-profit organizations
- Managed VIP visits to healthcare facilities by dignitaries (members of Congress, Speaker of the House of Representatives, governors, Hollywood stars, and Presidential candidates)
Contact the Expert Healthcare Consultants at Protection Management, LLC, Today for a Free Phone Consultation
We look forward to helping you with your Healthcare Security Consulting and Healthcare Risk Management needs.