Security of parking facilities can be a very crucial part of your business, and it can be a substantial liability risk as well. Many crimes take place in parking lots, parking structures, and parking garages. Often times businesses do not give proper attention to the security of the parking facilities until after there is an incident. Depending on the type of security incident that occurs, a review after-the-fact can be too late.
Parking Areas Can Be a Magnet for Criminal ActivityDue to the large number of cars and the valuables that are often in those cars, they become a criminal magnet. It is often easy for someone to blend into a parking lot and go unnoticed by most people, as a suspect about to commit a crime often will have numerous places to conceal themselves. If you have contracted out the parking services to an outside vendor, it is important that they understand the risks, and how to report all security concerns in a timely manner.
Do Not Assume Parking Companies Will Provide Parking Lot SecurityParking companies are not often in the security business, and may in fact only provide the revenue collection service. If that is the case with your organization, there are still numerous security considerations that you must investigate in addition to the inherent risks as mentioned above.
This can entail everything from cash handling, ticket auditing, and bookkeeping. Although you may have outsourced this service, you as a security manager should understand the entire system, or you may have no idea if funds are being diverted. Protection Management, LLC, has reviewed facilities with annual parking revenues between $500,000 and $2.5 Million. For the most part, this was all cash, and diversion of funds in operations such as this can be fairly easy accomplished and not easy to catch unless you fully understand all of the processes and equipment. We know the common ways used to circumvent accounting systems by the cashiers or management and will advise you in reducing these risks.
- Does staff make frequent drops of money into locked safes?
- Does someone audit all deposits, cash register tapes, shift reports, and ticket validation systems?
- Are the cashier booths secured?
- Do the cashier booths have panic/holdup alarms, and are they tested at least monthly?
- Do you use a computerized point of sale revenue management system?
- Do you conduct random cash register audits?
- How do you handle complaints from customers regarding improper change?
- How is the revenue moved from the cashier booths to the cash counting office?
- Has staff been trained regarding counterfeit money, robbery prevention, security awareness, dispute resolution, and any other security measures?
- Is staff required to maintain minimal amounts of cash in the register?
Security Issues in Parking Facilities Can Rank in Seriousness from Very Minor to High-Risk.Some of the things that Protection Management, LLC will review at your facility and help you prioritize include:
- Security lighting
- Security barriers
- Pay station location
- Security cameras
- Cash handling
- Safe egress
- Crime stats
- Neighborhood influences
- Traffic flow
Protection Management, LLC Over 35 Years Experience in the Parking IndustryWe have worked with private and public parking services which included free and fee based parking. Under our guidance our clients have increased their parking compliance and fine collection services by over 100%, and were able to sustain that level over an extended period of time. We have also assisted organizations with disruptions to their onsite parking due to construction, and in doing, so we successfully solicited bids for parking management firms, as well as vendors for employee shuttle services and valet parking.
Protection Management LLC, can assist your organization with the writing and publishing of Requests for Proposals (RFP) and vendor selection. We provide security risk assessments, as well as parking management reviews and audits. To learn about our company, executive staff, and the services that we provide, contact us today for a free telephone consultation.
- Airports - small to medium
- Business office campuses
- Bus terminals
- Commercial districts
- General aviation facilities
- Medical Centers
- Medical office buildings
- Multimodal transportation terminals
- Native American reservations
- Office buildings - single story to high rise
- Parking facilities - fee based (government & privately owned & operated)
- Schools & universities
- Tourism services
Learn More About Us:
Protection Management, LLC is a full service professional security consultant company. We are Board Certified in Security Management; Certified Protection Professional (CPP) by ASIS International, acknowledged as the security profession’s highest recognition. Read More.